The Work Climate Questionnaire WCQ
Perceived Autonomy Support: The Climate Questionnaires
The Work Climate Questionnaire (WCQ)
The WCQ has a long form containing 15 items and a short form containing 6 of the items. The questionnaire is typically used with respect to specific work settings‚ such as teams or work groups that have one manager‚ and the wording can be changed slightly to specify the particular situation being studied. In these cases‚ the
questions pertain to the autonomy support of the respondents manager. If‚ however‚ the WCQ is being used to assess a general work climate that goes beyond a particular work group‚ the questions are stated with respect to the autonomy support in general of the managers of that company‚ department‚ or organization. Below‚ you will find the 15-item version of the questionnaire‚ worded in terms of Òmy managerÓ (or supervisor). If you would like to use the 6-item version‚ simply reconstitute the questionnaire using only items # 1‚ 2‚ 4‚ 7‚ 10 and 14.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Work Climate Questionnaire
This questionnaire contains items that are related to your experience with the manager who is your most immediate supervisor. Managers have different styles in dealing with employees‚ and we would like to know more about how you have felt about your encounters with your manager. Your responses are confidential.
Please be honest and candid.
1. I feel that my manager provides me choices and options.
2. I feel understood by my manager.
3. I am able to be open with my manager at work.
4. My manager conveyed confidence in my ability to do well at my job.
5. I feel that my manager accepts me.
6. My manager made sure I really understood the goals of my job and what I need to do.
7. My manager encouraged me to ask questions.
8. I feel a lot of trust in my manager.
9. My manager answers my questions fully and carefully.
10. My manager listens to how I would like to do things.
11. My manager handles people's emotions very well.
12. I feel that my manager cares about me as a person.
13. I don't feel very good about the way my manager talks to me.
14. My manager tries to understand how I see things before suggesting a new way to do things.
15. I feel able to share my feelings with my manager.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Articles that have Used the Work Climate Questionnaire
Baard‚ P. P.‚ Deci‚ E. L.‚ & Ryan‚ R. M. (2000). Intrinsic need satisfaction as a motivational basis of performance and well-being at work. Unpublished manuscript‚ Fordham University. (Available from any of the authors.)